Monday, May 26, 2008

Looking back at the first 10 Weeks

I just completed week 11 day 1 of Beginner I. I thought that this may be something to post in the Strength Training section, because it is all about Strength Training.

First I would like to start with the tip of my hat to the Stronglifts people:Mehdi, JDurando, Guni, YA, Elisa, Kevinfar - oh, you guys know who you are. I have followed your guidance and you've responded quite nicely to my frequent redundant questions and general whining. I thank you. Mehdi - you've created a great virtual gym - I say that because you have surpassed the blogsphere.

Stronglifts is not an easy regiment for someone as inflexible as I am. But it has made a big difference. If there is any one piece of advice I could give to a beginner or someone who has been lifting for years: make sure you have correct form. All the weight in the world does you no good if you lift it improperly. I have been slow to make progress, but this has taught me patience - something I have very little experience with.

The first 5 weeks of eating clean and weight lifting + cardio really showed in the way my clothes fit. This gave me more confidence and has improved my life. I found it easy to cheat on my form, but I paid the price. I sucked it up and deloaded and worked properly. This is a must do, and it is not news to anyone on this form. Everyone knows about form, but there are some of us who say "that's close enough" and count a rep. NO NO NO! I am lifting with a back injury that I've had for years and I have been lucky not to hurt myself again. I could have, but I read these posts in here and they showed me the light.

I have three kids under the age of five, the youngest 1. It is hard sometimes to get my lifting completed, and cardio almost never happens anymore. Either the kids, my wife or I am sick. There is something going on which gets in the way, but I almost ALWAYS get it done. Even if I have to lift at 10pm, it gets done. I learned this attitude here. If there is anyone who feels that this forum is for newbies only, open your eyes, swallow your pride and heed the advice of some people who may know better than you.

I hear arguments which defy the teachings here, but I know that they are false and mythical. I look up Mehdi's articles and research them myself and they are correct. Some of them are on the line between two different philosophies sometimes, but the facts are fact.

Anyway - I thank you as I have made incredible progress, and can be considered one of the poster children for the success of this site if only for the motivation. Motivation is 90% of this in my opinion. I used to just lay around when I had the time (and I still like that!) but now I'd rather be healthy and exercise.

Cheers and onto the next 10 weeks.

Scott

No comments: